New York's Abandoned Leper Colony May Be Reopened To The Public

1 year ago
source
New York's parks department is considering granting 'limited' public access to North Brother Island
Opened as a quarantine center in 1885, it was once home to hundreds of residents, including 'Typhoid Mary'
It closed in 1963, it is now a haunting labyrinth of crumbling ruins -  just 350 yards away from South Bronx
The parks is considering lifting the strict ban on access, after Manhattan Councilmember Mark Levine was granted funding to study the feasibility of hosting small, seasonal tours
Study will not be complete for several weeks but early signs look good for the public to get their first glimpse of the island in 50 years

That's the gist of it, read the original article for the full story

DMCA.com Protection Status